Zoodles Carbonara Pasta is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional carbonara pasta. This dish is made with zucchini noodles, also known as “zoodles,” which are a low-carb and gluten-free alternative to pasta. The creamy carbonara sauce made with eggs, parmesan cheese, and bacon perfectly complements the zoodles and makes for a satisfying and guilt-free meal.
To make Zoodles Carbonara Pasta, start by spiralizing the zucchini into thin noodles. Cook the zoodles in a pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until they are slightly softened. In another pan, cook the bacon until it is crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside. In the same pan, whisk together eggs, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper until it forms a creamy sauce. Add the zoodles to the pan with the sauce and toss them until they are evenly coated. Serve the zoodles carbonara pasta with crispy bacon on top for added texture and flavor.
How to make Zoodles Carbonara Pasta
Prep Time : 20 mins
Cook Time : 10 mins
Total Time : 30 mins
Servings : 2 servings
- 4 medium zucchinis top and bottom sliced off
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 slices pancetta diced
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmigiano cheese plus more for garnish if desired
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
1. Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towel. Lay the zucchini noodles down and sprinkle with salt. Top with another few layers of paper towel, a cutting board and some heavy items like books or pots. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. After 10 minutes, transfer the noodles to a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water to remove the salt.
3. Refresh the paper towels on the baking sheet with a few new layers. Gently squeeze and shake the zoodles and lay them down on the paper towel. Top with a few more layers of paper towel, the cutting board and the heavy items. Let dry for 10 minutes.
4. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add one teaspoon of oil. Add in the pancetta, cook until crisp, then remove the bacon to a small dish and return the pan to the stove.
5. Add in the remaining olive oil and return the pan to medium heat. Add in the shallot and saute for 2 minutes. Then add in the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Next, add the peas and stir until thawed through, about 2 minutes.
6. Finally, add in the zucchini, increase the heat to medium high, and saute for 2-3 minutes or until fully warmed through.
7. Turn off the heat.
8. Beat together the eggs, egg yolk and cheese then add them to the pasta and toss gently until coated. This should take literally 2 minutes.
9. Add back the bacon and season with freshly cracked black pepper.
10. Divide between two bowls, add additional parmesan if desired, and season with salt to taste.