Vegan Pecan Pie is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional pecan pie. This recipe replaces the traditional ingredients like eggs, butter, and corn syrup with vegan-friendly options, making it suitable for vegans or anyone with dietary restrictions. The crust is made with a combination of almond flour and coconut oil, while the filling is made with a mixture of maple syrup, coconut sugar, and ground flaxseed. The addition of chopped pecans gives the pie a crunchy texture and nutty flavor.
To make Vegan Pecan Pie, start by making the crust by combining almond flour, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a bowl. Press the mixture into a pie dish and bake it for 10-12 minutes until it is slightly golden. In another bowl, mix together the maple syrup, coconut sugar, ground flaxseed, and vanilla extract. Fold in the chopped pecans and pour the mixture into the pre-baked crust. Bake the pie for another 30-35 minutes until it is golden brown and set. Allow the pie to cool before slicing and serving.
How to make Vegan Pecan Pie
Prep Time : 1 hr 50 mins
Cook Time : 1 hr
Total Time : 2 hrs 50 mins
Servings : 8 servings
- 2 ½ cups gluten free flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter very cold frozen is best
- ½ cup cold ice water
- 3 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 6 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups pecan halves
1. In a food processor, add the flour, salt, sugar, and butter and pulse until it reaches pea-like pieces. Add in the ice water, a tablespoon at a time until it comes together (you likely won’t use it all!). Form into two thick round discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to set up.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F.
3. Mix together the chia seeds and almond milk and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. In a food processor, puree the chia egg (the chia and almond milk mixture), maple, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, vinegar, vegan butter, salt and cinnamon.
5. Stir in the pecan halves.
6. Roll the first dough disk out to less than 1/4 inch and fit into a 9 inch pie plate. Prick the bottom. Chill until firm for about 30 minutes.
7. Roll the second disk out and using a cookie cutter (or free-form with a knife) cut out leaf shapes.
8. Pour the filling into the shell and press the leaf shapes all around the edge.
9. Bake for about 1 hour or until it just gently jiggles in the center. After the first 20 minutes, you’ll likely want to cover the edges with tin foil to prevent the crust from overbrowning.
10. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.