Turkey taco quinoa skillet is a quick and easy dish that is perfect for busy weeknights. This flavorful one-pan meal is made with ground turkey, quinoa, tomatoes, and black beans, all seasoned with classic taco spices like chili powder and cumin. The quinoa serves as a nutritious and gluten-free base, while the ground turkey adds protein and flavor. This dish is perfect for those looking for a healthy, filling, and delicious meal that can be made in under 30 minutes.
To make this dish, start by browning the ground turkey in a large skillet. Add in the diced tomatoes, black beans, quinoa, and spices, and let it cook until the quinoa is tender and the turkey is fully cooked. Top the skillet with shredded cheese and let it melt before serving. This dish can be customized to suit individual tastes by adding toppings like avocado, salsa, or jalapenos. Turkey taco quinoa skillet is a versatile and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion, from a quick weeknight dinner to a fun and casual party dish.
How to make Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 30 mins
Total Time : 40 mins
Servings : 6 servings
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey, (I use 99% lean)
- 1/2 yellow onion,, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, , to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans,, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro, , for garnish
1. Spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften. Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles, cooking for another minute. Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined.
2. When the mixture starts to bubble add in the water, cover the skillet with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked, it should still have a slight bite to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
3. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid cooking until the cheese is melted. Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.