Welcome to my kitchen, food enthusiasts! Today, we’re embarking on a delightful culinary adventure as we explore the world of figs and indulge in the scrumptious delight that is the Traditional Fig Cake with Cream Cheese Icing. If you’re looking for a dessert that’s both rustic and elegant, you’re in for a treat. This recipe is perfect for anyone who appreciates the sweet, earthy flavor of figs and the creamy decadence of cream cheese frosting. Whether you’re an experienced baker or just trying your hand at baking, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your collection. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and get baking!
Who is this Recipe For?
This recipe is perfect for those who love figs and appreciate the combination of rich, moist cake and the tangy sweetness of cream cheese icing. It’s an ideal treat for:
: If you’re a fan of fruity desserts, this one’s for you. Figs provide a unique and delicious twist to the classic cake.
: For those who enjoy spending time in the kitchen and creating delightful treats from scratch, this recipe is a must-try.
: Whether it’s a birthday, anniversary, or a simple gathering with friends, the Traditional Fig Cake is a showstopper.
: A slice of this cake pairs perfectly with a hot cup of tea. It’s an excellent choice for a cozy afternoon tea.
The Recipe: Traditional Fig Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 1/2 cups dried figs, stems removed
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
The Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Step 1: Prepare the Figs
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease and flour a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the dried figs and hot water. Stir in the baking soda and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- After soaking, drain the figs and chop them into small pieces.
Step 2: Cream the Butter and Sugar
- In a separate bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring each is well incorporated.
Step 3: Sift and Mix Dry Ingredients
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the chopped figs and vanilla extract.
Step 4: Bake and Cool
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 5: The Cream Cheese Icing
- In a mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until the icing is well combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the cream cheese icing over the top. You can get creative with your icing design!
Conclusion: Share the Figgy Love!
There you have it, a fantastic recipe that combines the goodness of figs with the delightful creaminess of cream cheese icing