Thai Red Curry Chicken is a popular and flavorful dish that is loved by many. This dish is a delicious blend of creamy coconut milk, spicy red curry paste, and tender chicken, making it a perfect comfort food for any occasion. The dish can be prepared in a variety of ways, from stir-fries to soups, making it versatile and easy to customize to suit individual tastes and preferences.
To make Thai Red Curry Chicken, start by sautéing some red curry paste in a pan until fragrant. Then, add some chicken and vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, and carrots, and sauté until the chicken is cooked through. Finally, pour in some coconut milk and let the mixture simmer until the flavors are fully combined. Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy a delicious and satisfying meal.
How to make Thai Red Curry Chicken
Prep Time : 15 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Total Time : 35 mins
Servings : 4 – 5 servings
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 cup onion, finely diced (white or yellow onion)
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (about 2 TBSP)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (or 1 TBSP fresh grated or minced ginger)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4-6 Tbsp Thai red curry paste, or to taste
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk, full-fat, (14-ounce can) (I used Thai Kitchen Brand)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar or to taste
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips about 3″ long 1/2″ wide (can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs, or a combination of both!)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce *see notes
- 1 cup carrots, shredded or julienned
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced or diced (about half large bell pepper)
- 1 lime, zest and juice *see notes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped and divided (can also use Thai Basil)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Once hot, add onions and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook 3 minutes, or until onions are softened, stirring often.
2. Add the red curry paste, garlic, ginger, and coriander. Cook about 1 minute, or until fragrant, stirring often.
3. Add coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce, and chicken. Stir, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered for 7 minutes, occasionally stirring.
4. Add carrots and bell peppers, and simmer 5-7 more minutes, until sauce slightly thickens and chicken is cooked through (took mine 7 minutes).
5. Remove from heat, and stir in the lime zest, half of the lime juice, and half of the cilantro.
6. At this point, do a taste test and add in more lime juice if needed and more: salt, sugar, or curry paste to taste. (I added 1/4 tsp more salt, and 1 TBSP more curry paste for added heat!)
7. Top with the remaining cilantro, and serve!