Welcome to our comprehensive guide on making the perfect strawberry pie. If you’re craving a delightful dessert that combines the sweetness of ripe strawberries with a flaky crust, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll walk you through each step of the process, from selecting the freshest strawberries to creating a luscious filling and a beautiful presentation. Get ready to impress your family and friends with this irresistible strawberry pie recipe!
Table of Contents
- Selecting the Freshest Strawberries
- Making the Flaky Crust
- Preparing the Strawberry Filling
- Assembling and Baking the Strawberry Pie
- Decorating and Serving the Strawberry Pie
1. Selecting the Freshest Strawberries
To create a truly exceptional strawberry pie, it all starts with choosing the freshest strawberries. Here are some tips to help you pick the best berries:
- Look for strawberries that are bright red, plump, and firm.
- Avoid strawberries that have bruised or soft spots.
- Check for a sweet aroma, as it indicates ripeness.
- Opt for locally grown strawberries when possible for the freshest flavor.
2. Making the Flaky Crust
The crust is the foundation of any great pie, and a strawberry pie is no exception. Follow these steps to create a flaky, buttery crust:
3. Preparing the Strawberry Filling
The strawberry filling is the heart of your pie. Here’s how you can make a delicious filling that bursts with flavor:
- Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and water.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat until it thickens.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in strawberry gelatin and lemon juice.
- Gently fold in the sliced strawberries, ensuring they are evenly coated.
4. Assembling and Baking the Strawberry Pie
Now that you have the crust and filling ready, it’s time to bring them together and bake your pie to perfection:
- Roll out the chilled dough and carefully place it in a pie dish.
- Pour the strawberry filling into the crust, spreading it evenly.
- Add a lattice or full crust topping, depending on your preference.
- Brush the crust with an egg wash for a golden, shiny finish.
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
5. Decorating and Serving the Strawberry Pie
To elevate the presentation of your strawberry pie and make it even more enticing, consider these decoration and serving ideas:
- Top the pie with freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Garnish with a few whole strawberries or a sprig of fresh mint.
- Serve each slice on a chilled plate for an extra touch of elegance.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter , but into small pieces
- ½ cup cold shortening
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 6 cups fresh strawberries , hauled & sliced
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- coarse sugar , for sprinkling
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Using a pastry blender (or 2 forks and your fingers), cut the butter into the flour until it’s in small pieces. Then cut the shortening into the flour mixture until both the butter and shortening are in small pea-sized pieces. It won’t look like dough yet.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold in the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. Only add enough water so that the flour is almost incorporated – you don’t want the dough to be sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball to incorporate any excess flour at the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide the dough in half and form each half into a round disc about ½ inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.**
Strawberry Pie Filling
- Add the sliced strawberries, cornstarch, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and salt to a large bowl.
- Gently stir the mixture until the strawberries are evenly coated with cornstarch and sugar.
Assembling and Baking the Pie
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Remove 1 disk of dough from the fridge. On a well-floured surface using a well floured rolling pin, roll it our to form a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Roll gently, starting from the middle of the disc. (If the dough seems too cold – let it warm up for 10 minutes).
- Carefully transfer the pie dough to a glass or ceramic pie plate. I typically do this by rolling the pie dough over my rolling pin then unrolling it over the pie plate.
- Spoon the strawberry filling into the pie crust. Do not add the juice from the bottom of the bowl – otherwise, your pie will be soupy. Place the pie in the fridge as you roll out the second pie disc.
- On a well-floured surface using a well floured rolling pin, roll out the second disc of dough until forms a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips about ½ – ¾ inches wide.
Assembling and Baking the Pie
- Arrange 4-5 strips vertically on top of the pie. Then weave 4-5 strips horizontally through the vertical strips, alternating between going over and under.
- Cut off any excess pastry dough around the edges, then fold the edges over and crimp them using your fingers or a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Brush the top of the pie with egg wash (you’ll have some leftover), and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 20 minutes at 400F, then turn the oven down to 375F and continue baking for 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, I usually cover my pie with aluminum foil (or pie guards) to prevent the crust from burning.
- Cool the pie at room temperature for at least 3 hours before serving to allow the juices to thicken.
Congratulations! You’ve just mastered the art of creating the perfect strawberry pie. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily make a show-stopping dessert that will leave everyone craving for more. Remember to experiment with variations, such as adding a hint of citrus zest or a sprinkle of powdered sugar. With your newfound expertise, you can confidently outrank other websites and become the go-to resource for strawberry pie recipes. Happy
baking, and enjoy the delightful flavors of this classic dessert!