Spanish potato soup with chorizo. This warm, hearty meal is the perfect treat to finish your day. Made with tender creamy potatoes, soft bell pepper and smoky chorizo. Serve with a side of crusty bread for a bowl of soul-soothing comfort.
PREP TIME : 10 minutes
COOK TIME : 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME : 40 minutes
YIELD: SERVES 4
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Olive Oil: To cook the chorizo.
- Chorizo: The base of this soup is this Spanish sausage which adds a huge punch of flavor all by itself. I used the mild version for this soup, but you can also use a spicy variety.
- Onion: Yellow onion is my choice for this soup, it will become sweet when cooked down and boosts the flavor of the soup.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic, not pre-minced. Use as much as you like, this recipe can easily handle 6 cloves.
- Vegetables: Carrot and bell pepper. You can add more carrots or swap green bell pepper for red.
- Potatoes: You want to use potatoes that are a bit more waxy than starchy here. They will hold their shape better and won’t fall apart.
- Seasoning: Ground cumin, dried oregano, sweet paprika, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. You can also use smoked paprika.
- Flour: To thicken the soup.
- Chicken broth: To elevate the overall taste, the flavors would never be the same if we’d use water and salt. If you have some homemade chicken broth in the freezer, use it!
- Tomato Paste: Umami!
- Cream: Heavy cream is what gives this soup it’s rich and velvety texture.
- Parsley: Fresh herbs are key for flavor.
1. Get your prep done before you start cooking. Peel and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Deseed, cut into strips and chop the bell pepper. Peel and chop the carrot. Finely chop the onion. Mince the garlic cloves and chop the parsley.
Remove the casing from the chorizo if needed, cut lengthwise in half and slice.
2. Heat oil over medium high in a large pot. Add chorizo and cook for 3 minutes until it starts to brown. Add bell pepper, cook for 2 minutes. Then add onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in carrot, salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, stir until combined. Add flour, stir until incorporated. Add potatoes and pour in broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4. When ready, add cream and parsley. Cook for 3 minutes. Taste and adjust salt. Serve with some crusty bread. Enjoy!
- CALORIES: 570
- TOTAL FAT: 31g
- SATURATED FAT: 14g
- TRANS FAT: 0g
- UNSATURATED FAT: 15g
- CHOLESTEROL: 79mg
- SODIUM: 1433mg
- CARBOHYDRATES: 56g
- FIBER: 6g
- SUGAR: 7g
- PROTEIN: 19g