Skillet Neapolitan Pizza is a quick and easy way to make pizza at home. It’s made in a cast iron skillet and features a crispy, thin crust topped with crushed tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and your choice of toppings. This dish can be ready in under 30 minutes and makes a great weeknight dinner or party appetizer.
- pizza dough – you can use homemade pizza dough, sourdough pizza dough or storebought. I used sourdough pizza dough for this one.
- pizza sauce – it’s super easy to make your own homemade sauce in 5 minutes with just a few ingredients. Store-bought works great too.
- mozzarella cheese – fresh mozzarella is the best. You can still use the shredded stuff, but the flavour does not compare. Slice up the fresh mozzarella or just tear some pieces off the mozzarella ball.
- basil leaves – fresh basil is best for maximum flavour and visual appeal.
1. Preheat. Turn the oven broiler to high. Heat a cast-iron skillet on the stove, over medium-high heat.
2. Shape the pizza dough. Transfer pizza dough onto a floured surface. Gently press the pizza dough with your fingers into an 8-inch circle. Sprinkle some flour if needed to prevent stickiness.
3. Add toppings. Have your pizza sauce and ingredients prepped and ready close by. Once the skillet is hot, carefully place the flattened dough onto the skillet. Stretch out the dough a bit more to let it spread over the entire skillet. Immediately add the pizza sauce and spread evenly over the pizza crust. Place sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and basil leaves evenly on top.
4. Cook on the skillet. Leave the pizza to cook on the skillet for 5 minutes or until the bottom of the crust starts to brown.
5. Broil. Transfer the cast-iron skillet to the preheated broiler and cook for 3 minutes or until the crust is blistered and slightly charred. Keep your eye closely on the broil, because the intense heat can make pizza crust burn quite quickly.
6. Serve. Remove the skillet and transfer the pizza onto a parchment lined cutting board. Slice pizza into 4-6 pieces with a knife or pizza cutter and serve.