Rice bowls with grilled chicken are a delicious and healthy option for lunch or dinner. This recipe features tender chicken breasts marinated in a flavorful mixture of soy sauce, honey, and garlic, then grilled to perfection. The chicken is served on a bed of rice with your choice of vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, or bell peppers. The combination of protein, complex carbohydrates, and vitamins and minerals makes this dish a complete and balanced meal.
This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to suit your preferences. You can use brown rice for a healthier option, or switch up the vegetables and seasonings to create a variety of different flavors. Additionally, this dish can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a quick and convenient meal on busy weeknights. To make it even easier, you can cook a large batch of rice and keep it in the fridge or freezer for quick and easy meal prep.
How to make Rice Bowls Grilled Chicken
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 25 mins
Servings : 3 bowls
THE CHICKEN MARINADE
- 2 large shallots minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce the thick one!
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil or another neutral oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast cut into chunks
THE NUOC CHAM DIPPING SAUCE
- ⅓ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- the juice from ½ fresh lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sambal or sriracha or a few slices of birds eye chili if you can find ’em
THE PICKLED CARROTS AND DAIKON
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup grated daikon radish
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 5 cups brown rice
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions diced
- 2 tbsp cripsy fried garlic or onion for garnish
- ½ cup sliced english cucumbers
- quick pickled daikon and carrots
1. Whisk together everything but the chicken in a small bowl for 1 minute until combined and sugar is starting to dissolved. Add the chicken chunks and stir to coat. Refrigerate over night or at least 4 hours.
2. Meanwhile, soak 6 long wooden skewers in water for at least an hour.
3. Fire up the grill and let it get all hot and fiery. Add a few chunks of chicken to each skewer and grill until the chicken is cooked through and there’s a nice char on the nuggets. Remove from heat and set aside.
NUOC CHAM DIPPING SAUCE
1. Add water and sugar to a bowl and stir for 1 minute until dissolved. Annex in lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, and sambal. Add more fish sauce if you’d like it saltier and add more sambal if you like it spicy!
PICKLED CARROTS AND DAIKON
1. Toss carrots and daikon with ½ teaspoon salt and place in a strainer over a sink/bowl. Let the mix sit for 15 minutes then rinse with cool water to wash off salt. Set on paper towels to dry.
2. Whisk together sugar with warm water until dissolved. Add in vinegar and stir again.
3. Toss pickling liquid with the vegetable mixture and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
1. Add 2.5 cups of rice to one side of each bowl. Add cucumbers, pickled daikon and carrots, fresh cilantro, and fresh mint to the other side of each bowl.
2. Place 2-3 skewers on top of the rice side of each bowl and sprinkle with chopped scallions and crispy fried shallots.
3. Serve with nuoc cham and enjoy!