Raclette-Gruyère Mac and Cheese with Pickled Shallots is a delicious twist on the classic dish. It combines the nutty and slightly tangy flavors of Raclette and Gruyère cheese with the added crunch of pickled shallots. This recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and a great addition to any dinner table.
How To Make Raclette-Gruyère Mac
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups whole milk, warmed
- 12 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 16 ounces cavatappi pasta, cooked according to pkg. directions for al dente
- 6 ounces raclette cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine shallots, vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes; drain.
2. While shallots cool, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium. Whisk in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in warm milk until combined. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, whisking often, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add Gruyère, pepper, nutmeg, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; stir until cheese melts. Stir in pasta and 3/4 cup pickled shallots.
3. Transfer pasta mixture to a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle remaining pickled shallots over top of pasta; sprinkle evenly with raclette cheese. Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Garnish with chives.