Pesto Penne Pasta is a classic Italian dish that is quick and easy to prepare. It features penne pasta tossed with homemade basil pesto, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese, for a simple yet delicious meal. This dish can be served as a main or side dish and can be made with or without meat.
- penne pasta – or substitute with your favourite kind of pasta. I like the penne shape because it traps so much delicious sauce inside.
- basil pesto – it’s really easy to make fresh basil pesto homemade in just 5 minutes, or you can easily use store-bought pesto as well.
- cherry tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
1. Make the penne pasta. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add penne pasta and a little bit salt, and cook till al dente (fully cooked but still firm) about 8-10 minutes, or according to package directions. Do not overcook the pasta. Turn off the heat and reserve at least ¼ cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta in a colander and let it cool for 1 minute.
2. Toss in pesto. Transfer pasta into a large mixing bowl and add pesto and reserved pasta water (¼ cup or more, if desired). Season with salt and pepper and toss well to coat. Stir in cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese.
3. Serve. Serve immediately. Sprinkle extra parmesan on top, if desired.