Indulge in the velvety goodness of our Pastry Cream Creme Patissiere recipe. This classic French custard is the perfect filling for pastries, tarts, and cakes. Made with simple ingredients like milk, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla extract, our recipe guarantees a smooth and creamy texture that will elevate your desserts to the next level. Begin by heating milk in a saucepan until it reaches a gentle simmer. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch until well combined. Slowly pour the heated milk into the egg mixture while whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens into a luscious custard. Remove from heat, add vanilla extract, and let it cool. Our Pastry Cream Creme Patissiere will add a luxurious touch to your sweet creations.
How to make Pastry Cream Creme Patissiere
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 10 mins
Chilling Time : 2 hrs
Total Time : 2hrs 20 mins
Servings : 16
- 2 cups milk divided
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup cornstartch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
1. Place 1 1/2 cups milk and the vanilla into a medium saucepan. Cook over high heat, stirring often until it just starts to simmer. Remove from heat.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk remaining 1/2 cup milk, egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch.
3. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture.
4. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over high heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and comes to a boil.
5. Pass through a strainer and into a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on top of custard to prevent a skin from forming.
6. Cool to room temperature then place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to set. Whip before use.
7. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Do not freeze.