Pasta Bake with Sausage is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for family dinners or as a comforting meal for colder months. The recipe combines pasta, sausage, and marinara sauce baked together with mozzarella cheese, creating a delicious and satisfying meal. This recipe is easy to prepare and can be customized to your taste by adding your favourite vegetables or herbs.
For Whom and Why It’s Great
Calling all pasta lovers and comfort food seekers – this Pasta Bake with Sausage recipe is dedicated to you! It’s the perfect dish for those busy weeknights when you’re craving a cozy meal that’s as delightful to make as it is to devour. Whether you’re cooking for your family, impressing friends, or treating yourself to a solo indulgence, this recipe brings together the heartiness of Italian flavors with the comfort of a warm, cheesy hug.
Kitchen Equipment You’ll Need
Before we dive into the mouthwatering process of creating this masterpiece, let’s gather the tools you’ll need:
- Large pot for boiling pasta
- Oven-safe baking dish
- Skillet for cooking sausages and sauce
- Wooden spoon for stirring
- Chef’s knife and cutting board
- Mixing bowls for tossing ingredients
- Grater for cheese
- Aluminum foil for covering the baking dish
How to Make Pasta Bake with Sausage
PREP TIME : 05 mins
COOK TIME : 25 mins
TOTAL TIME : 30 mins
YIELD : 4
- 1 lb. (454 grams) penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta and cook until al dente (fully cooked but still firm), about 8-10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
4. Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft and tender, about 2-3 minutes. Stir to combine.
5. Pour in tomato sauce, turn the heat down to medium, and bring the meat sauce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stir in Italian seasoning, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, parsley and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Simmering helps develop richer flavour in the sauce.
7. Transfer the cooked and drained pasta into the sauce and toss well to mix evenly.
8. Spread half of the pasta into a 9×13 casserole pan and top with half of mozzarella cheese (1.5 cups). Add the remaining pasta and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese evenly on top.
9. Bake the pasta for 25 minutes until the melted cheese is golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes, then serve.
Serving and Pairing Suggestions
Your Pasta Bake with Sausage is now a work of culinary art, ready to be savored. Serve it up with a sprinkle of freshly chopped basil leaves for a burst of freshness. This dish pairs beautifully with a crisp side salad tossed in balsamic vinaigrette. For drinks, a glass of Chianti or a refreshing sparkling water with a twist of lemon complements the flavors impeccably.
If you happen to have any leftovers (though it’s hard to imagine!), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When reheating, pop a portion in the microwave or reheat in the oven for a few minutes to restore that cheesy goodness.