An overnight breakfast casserole is a delicious and easy dish to prepare ahead of time. It typically includes ingredients such as bread, eggs, milk, and cheese, and can be customized with a variety of meats, vegetables, and seasonings. Simply assemble the casserole the night before and bake it in the morning for a hearty and convenient breakfast.
How To Make Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cock Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12 servings
- 6-8 slices white bread , crust removed
- 4 cups freshly shredded colby jack cheese , or cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces pork sausage
- 1/4 medium onion , chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1. Remove the crust from the bread slices. Lightly butter or grease a 9×13” baking pan.
2. Arrange the bread slices in the baking dish to cover the bottom of the pan, with no spaces.
3. Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces. Drain Grease and remove to plate.
4. Add onions and bell peppers to skillet and saute until slightly tender, 3-5 minutes. Add green chiles.
5. Sprinkle freshly grated cheese evenly over the the bread in the 9×13” pan. Add the cooked sausage evenly on top, followed by the onions, bell pepper, and green chiles.
6. Whisk the eggs in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add milk, salt, paprika, oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, and dry mustard and whisk well to combine.
7. Slowly stir the egg mixture as you pour it evenly all over the top of the assembled casserole. Cover baking dish and place in the refrigerator overnight (or refrigerate for at least 6 hours)
In the morning:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake (uncovered) for 50-60 minutes or until center is set and outside edges are golden brown.
2. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into it and serving.