This One Pot French Onion Pasta is rich and creamy, with sweet caramelized onions, cremini mushrooms and orecchiette. Simple, delicious and easily adaptable for vegan and gluten free.
For Whom and Why It’s Great
This One Pot French Onion Pasta recipe is a must-try for anyone who appreciates the hearty and soul-warming goodness of French onion soup. It’s a fantastic dish for busy individuals seeking a quick and flavorsome meal that’s as elegant as it is easy to make. Whether you’re a seasoned cook looking to impress or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe will make you feel like a culinary maestro.
Kitchen Equipment You’ll Need
Before we embark on this savory journey, let’s ensure you have the necessary tools at your fingertips:
- Large, deep skillet or pot with a lid
- Wooden spoon for stirring
- Chef’s knife and cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Grater for cheese
- Serving bowls for a delightful presentation
How To Make One Pot French Onion Pasta
PREP TIME : 10 minutes
COOK TIME : 50 minutes
TOTAL TIME : 1 hour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz dried orecchiette or other short cut pasta
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs and toasted breadcrumbs for serving (optional)
- Heat oil over a large skillet over medium heat. When shimmering, add the onions and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently until deeply caramelized. About 25-30 minutes.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add the wine to deglaze the pan and add the flour. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
- Pour in the beef stock (or vegetable stock) and water. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil then add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente. (Keep in mind that other pasta shapes will have different cook times).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sherry vinegar. Serve warm.
Serving and Pairing Suggestions
Your One Pot French Onion Pasta is now a symphony of flavors and textures that’s ready to be savored. Garnish it with freshly chopped parsley to add a burst of freshness and color. This dish pairs exquisitely with a crisp green salad tossed in a light vinaigrette. To elevate your dining experience, consider serving it alongside a glass of red wine like Merlot or a sparkling water infused with citrus.
Should you find yourself with leftovers (a rare occurrence!), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When reheating, add a splash of broth or water to maintain the sauciness of the pasta.
Voilà! The One Pot French Onion Pasta is your ticket to savoring the soul-soothing flavors of French onion soup in a delightful pasta form. It’s a dish that marries comfort and elegance, creating a culinary masterpiece in just one pot. Don’t keep this secret to yourself – share this recipe with your fellow food enthusiasts and subscribe to our blog for more palate-pleasing creations. Now, embrace the culinary journey, and let the flavors of France grace your table!