One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta is a quick and easy recipe that combines the bold flavors of Cajun seasoning with tender chicken and al dente pasta. The dish is made in a single pot, making cleanup a breeze. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights and can be customized with your favorite vegetables for added nutrition.
For Whom and Why It’s Great
This One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta is tailor-made for anyone who appreciates a mouthwatering blend of flavors. It’s a fantastic option for individuals or families on the go, seeking a hearty and wholesome meal without spending hours in the kitchen. The dish brings together tender chicken, al dente pasta, and a medley of vibrant vegetables, all infused with the bold flavors of Cajun seasoning. Not only is it a delightful dinner option, but it’s also a fabulous way to impress your guests at gatherings.
Kitchen Equipment You’ll Need
To whip up this delightful dish, you won’t need an army of kitchen gadgets. Here’s what you’ll require:
- Large pot or skillet
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Tongs for flipping chicken
- Grater for Parmesan cheese (optional, for serving)
How to Make One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cajun seasoning,
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips, about 2-inches long
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips, about 2-inches long
- 1 small (5 – 6 oz) red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 12 oz. penne pasta (recommend Barilla for consistency)
- 2 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Toss chicken with 1/2 Tbsp cajun seasoning. Add to pot in a single layer.
3. Cook until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes then turn and continue to cook through, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a sheet of foil and wrap to keep warm.
4. Heat remaining 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and remaining 1 Tbsp cajun seasoning and saute 1 minute longer.
5. Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup heavy cream. Bring mixture to a boil, then add pasta.
6. Cook, stirring frequently until pasta is nearly tender, about 12 – 13 minutes. Add cornstarch and water mixture and cook until pasta is just tender and sauce mixture has thickened, about 1 minute longer.
7. Remove from heat. Toss in remaining 1/4 cup cream, parmesan, parsley and cooked chicken, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Serving and Pairing Suggestions
Your One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta is now ready to be devoured! Serve it up in bowls, garnished with freshly chopped parsley and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese if you desire. This dish pairs wonderfully with a crisp green salad and some garlic bread on the side. For drinks, a chilled glass of white wine or a refreshing lemonade complements the meal beautifully.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The flavors tend to mingle and intensify over time, making it even more delicious on the second day. When reheating, you might want to add a splash of chicken broth or cream to maintain that lovely creamy texture.