New York-style pizza is known for its large, thin slices that fold easily and its crispy, crunchy crust. The sauce is made from crushed tomatoes and spices, and the cheese is typically mozzarella. Toppings are added according to personal preference, with pepperoni being a popular choice.
The pizza is traditionally cooked in a coal-fired oven, which gives it a distinctive char and smoky flavor. This style of pizza is a staple of the city’s food culture and can be found in pizzerias throughout New York. It is widely considered to be some of the best pizza in the world due to its balance of flavors and the quality of its ingredients.
How to cook New York Pizza Recipe
Prep Time : 30 mins
Cook Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 45 mins
Servings : 3 pizzas
- 4 1/2 cups (1lb 6oz/639g) bread flour*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups (12floz/340ml) lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 Minute Pizza Sauce
1. In a bowl of an electric mixer add the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
2. In a separate jug add the warm water and oil.
3. Turn the machine on to medium speed and add the wet ingredients into the dry. Just add enough liquid for the dough to form a ball. (The dough can be made by hand if you knead it for roughly 8-10 minutes on your work surface).
4. When the dough is ready (see above video), divide the dough into three (xx) balls and place each in a container with a sealable lid. Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least one day, and up to 4 days. The dough can also be frozen at this stage.
The Next Day:
1. At least two hours before baking, remove dough from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature to take the chill off it.
2. Preheat the oven to 500°F (250°C) and place in a pizza stone or tray if using. Turn a dough ball out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently stretch the dough by draping over your knuckles into a 12-14 inch circle about 1/4-inch thick. Slide the pizza base onto a flat baking tray lined with parchment (see video above).
3. Spread pizza sauce evenly over the surface of the crust, almost to the edge. Sprinkle cheese over sauce followed by any of your favorite pizza toppings.
4. Slide pizza onto baking stone and bake for roughly 12 – 15 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Transfer to cutting board, slice, and serve immediately.