Lemon pound cake is a classic dessert that is perfect for any occasion. This recipe features a moist and tender cake that is infused with fresh lemon juice and zest. The tangy and sweet flavors of the lemon make this cake a refreshing and delicious treat. The cake can be topped with a simple glaze or frosting for an extra touch of sweetness.
This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to suit your preferences. You can add poppy seeds to the batter for a fun texture, or substitute the lemon juice and zest with orange or lime for a different flavor. Additionally, this cake can be made ahead of time and frozen for later use, making it a convenient option for busy bakers.
How to make Lemon Pound Cake
Prep Time : 15 mins
Cook Time : 1 hr 20 mins
Total Time : 1 hr 35 mins
Servings : 12
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temp (2 sticks)
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs at room temp
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease tube or bundt pan.
3. Dust pan with flour; tap out excess.
4. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
5. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl at medium speed until fluffy.
6. Gradually add sugar and beat 5 minutes.
7. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined after each egg is added.
8. Beat in lemon juice and peel.
9. Using rubber spatula, mix in dry ingredients.
10. Mix in sour cream.
11. Pour batter to prepared pan – batter will be thick.
12. Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
13. Let cake cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Cut around cake in pan. Turn out cake.
14. Carefully turn cake right side up on rack and cool completely.
15. For an extra touch – drizzle glaze made of 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice over cake.