Lemon Meringue Slice is a delicious and easy to make dessert. It starts with a base of shortbread crust, followed by a layer of tangy lemon curd and finished off with a fluffy meringue topping. Serve chilled for the perfect balance of flavors and textures.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 18 servings
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 150g butter cold
- 1 tsp cold water
- 395g condensed milk
- 2 eggs separated
- 2 tsp lemon rind grated
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut flake
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm lamington tray.
3. Process the flour, icing sugar, butter and water until the ingredients cling together.
4. Ball mixture together with hands and press evenly (using the curved side of a spoon) over base of prepared pan.
5. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
6. Combine egg yolks, condensed milk, lemon rind and juice in a bowl.
7. Pour over cooked base and bake for a further 10 minutes.
8. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly add caster sugar, beating until the sugar is dissolved.
9. Pour meringue over lemon filling. Sprinkle with coconut.
10. Bake for an extra 10 minutes, or until browned.
11. Cool in the pan.
12. Cut into medium-sized pieces to serve.