Indulge in the refreshing and zesty flavors of homemade lemon ice cream with this tantalizing recipe. Start by juicing fresh lemons to extract their vibrant citrus flavor. In a saucepan, combine heavy cream, milk, sugar, and a pinch of salt, and heat the mixture until it is warm and the sugar has dissolved. Remove the mixture from heat and whisk in the fresh lemon juice. Transfer the mixture to a container and refrigerate it until it is chilled. Once chilled, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The result is a creamy and tangy lemon ice cream that will cool you down on a hot day. Serve it in cones or bowls, and garnish it with lemon zest for an extra burst of citrus aroma.
How to make Lemon Ice Cream
Prep Time : 05 mins
Cook Time : 10 mins
Freezing Time : 30 mins
Total Time : 45 mins
Servings : 8 (1/2 Cup) Servings
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
1. In a pan mix together zest, juice, sugar, salt and eggs.
2. Add in 1 cup whole milk and vanilla.
3. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a simmer.
4. Strain through a sieve to remove zest if desired..
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
6. Add in whipping cream and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
TIPS & NOTES:
Recipe makes 1 quart of lemon ice cream.
The base for this ice cream is a cooked custard because there are eggs in the recipe. You will need to plan ahead with this ice cream as the ice cream base needs to be cooked and then cooled before churning into ice cream.
I usually allow my ice cream to harden up in the freezer a while before serving. You can serve it right after processing though if you can’t wait, it will just be more soft serve like.