Lasagna Soup is a comforting and hearty dish that combines the flavors of classic lasagna into a soup form. It typically includes ground beef or sausage, canned diced tomatoes, beef broth, and various seasonings, and is finished with mini lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese. This recipe is perfect for a comforting weeknight dinner and can be served with garlic bread or a side salad. The soup can also be made with different types of meat, vegetables or even with a meatless option, making it versatile and customizable.
- olive oil
- ground beef – you can also make this soup with Italian sausage or ground turkey instead.
- tomato sauce
- chicken broth – you can also substitute for vegetable broth or beef broth.
- seasoning – parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- lasagna noodles – lasagna noodles hold up great in a soup. In fact, they’re so good that you might decide to substitute next time you make a classic chicken noodle soup!
- cheese topping – made with 3 different types of cheese including ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
1. Cook ground beef. Heat oil in a large pot or 4 qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Make sure to break up beef into small pieces to help even browning.
2. Sauté aromatics. Add onion and garlic. Stir well to combine and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until tender.
3. Add seasoning and simmer. Add tomato sauce and chicken broth. Mix well and bring the meat sauce to a simmer. Stir in parsley and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cover the lid and let it simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add lasagna noodles. Add broken lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (fully cooked but still firm) according to package directions, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
5. Make cheese topping. Combine ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan in a medium mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
6. Serve. Serve immediately with a dollop of the cheese mixture on top.