Italian Sausage Bean Soup is a hearty and flavorful soup that is perfect for a cold weather meal. To prepare, cook Italian sausages in a pot, remove them and slice them, add diced onions, garlic, and carrots, and then add canned cannellini beans, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Simmer for about 30 minutes and garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
How to make Italian Sausage Bean Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
1. In a Dutch oven, cook and stir sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
2. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, barley, carrot, celery, sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Stir in kale; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.