Fiesta Chicken is a flavorful and easy recipe that can be made in a skillet or slow cooker. It is made by combining chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and spices to create a savory and delicious dish. It is often served with rice or tortillas, and can be topped with cheese, sour cream, and avocado for added flavor.
How To Make Fiesta Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion or red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dillweed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper use 1/4 teaspoon or less if sensitive to spice
- 1 medium red bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1 can reduced-sodium black beans (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes in their juices (15 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice* do not use white minute rice or regular rice as these will cook differently (see note)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- Optional for serving: chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, plain nonfat Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, onion, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dill, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Sauté, stirring often, for 3 minutes, until the chicken begins to brown on the outside.
2. Stir in the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, black beans, tomatoes, rice, and chicken stock.
3. Bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is done and the rice is nearly tender. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Sprinkle with cheese and any additional desired toppings. Serve warm.