Enchiladas Verdes is a classic Mexican dish that is loved by people all around the world. This dish features soft tortillas filled with tender chicken, topped with a zesty green sauce made from tomatillos, chili peppers, and spices. This Enchiladas Verdes recipe is easy to make and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a casual get-together with friends and family.
To make this delicious dish, start by preparing the green sauce by blending tomatillos, chili peppers, onions, and garlic until smooth. Next, cook shredded chicken with cumin, chili powder, and salt. Then, fill each tortilla with the chicken and roll it up tightly. Finally, pour the green sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with your favorite toppings like sour cream, avocado, and salsa. This Enchiladas Verdes recipe is a crowd-pleaser and is sure to become a favorite in your household.
How to make Enchiladas Verdes
Prep Time : 30 mins
Cook Time : 30 mins
Total Time : 1 hr
Servings : 4 servings
- 1 ¼ lbs. cooked chicken* shredded
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño finely chopped, optional
- ½ cup sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2-3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 16 oz. jar salsa verde mild or medium
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese or dairy-free cheese
- Cilantro finely chopped
- Avocado finely diced
- Tomatoes finely diced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat combine 1 tablespoon oil, finely chopped bell pepper, jalapeño, and onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add crushed garlic and continue sautéing for an additional minute.
3. Remove from heat and stir in shredded chicken, salt, pepper ,and ½ cup salsa verde.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and heat up 2-3 corn tortillas for 1 minute per side. Place tortillas on a paper towel and repeat previous step with remaining coconut oil and tortillas.
5. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour ¼ cup salsa verde into the bottom of the pan.
6. Fill each corn tortilla with equal amounts of the chicken mixture. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down in the baking pan. Repeat until all tortillas are used.
7. Pour remaining salsa verde on top of the enchiladas, making sure to cover the edges of the tortillas. Sprinkle cheese on top, cover pan with aluminum foil, and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
8. Serve salsa verde enchiladas with cilantro, avocado, and diced tomatoes. Enjoy!