Easy sourdough muffins is a delicious and satisfying baking project that even beginner bakers can enjoy. These muffins are made with sourdough starter, which provides a tangy, fermented flavor that perfectly complements the sweet and tender crumb of the muffins. To get started, you’ll need to have a mature sourdough starter ready to use. Simply mix the starter with flour, sugar, baking powder, and other ingredients to create a batter, then spoon the batter into muffin tins and bake in the oven until golden brown.
The beauty of making easy sourdough muffins is that you can customize them to suit your taste. For a classic flavor, add cinnamon and sugar to the batter before baking. For a healthier option, substitute the sugar with honey or maple syrup, and add nuts, fruits, or seeds for extra texture and flavor. To make vegan sourdough muffins, use a plant-based milk and oil, and replace the eggs with flax eggs. You can also make gluten-free sourdough muffins by using gluten-free flour in place of the all-purpose flour.
Baking easy sourdough muffins is a great way to use up your sourdough starter and enjoy the unique flavor and texture of sourdough in a convenient and portable form. Whether you’re looking for a quick breakfast, a tasty snack, or a comforting dessert, these muffins are sure to please. Serve them warm from the oven, slathered with butter, or drizzled with honey. Store leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy them within a few days, or freeze them for a future treat. Happy baking!
How to make Easy Sourdough Muffins
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 25 mins
Servings : 10 servings
- 180 grams (1 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 130 grams (⅔ cup) granulated sugar
- 10 grams (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (*optional)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 76 grams (⅓ cup, 80 milliliters) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 113 grams (½ cup, 120 milliliters) liquid fat (oil or melted butter, shortening, lard, or coconut oil)
- 120 grams (½ cup) sourdough discard (make sure you stir down the bubbles before measuring
1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 425°F (220 °C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray.
2. Mix Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour (180 grams/ 1 ½ cups), granulated sugar (130 grams, ⅔ cup), baking powder (10 grams, 1 tablespoon), salt (¼ teaspoon), and cinnamon(½ teaspoon) if using.
3. Mix the Wet Ingredients: In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg (1 large), milk (76 grams, ⅓ cup), vanilla extract (1 teaspoon), oil (113 grams/ ½ cup), and sourdough discard (120 grams/ ½ cup) until well combined.
4. Combine Wet & Dry Ingredients: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. The batter will be lumpy. Do not over-mix or the muffins will become tough. If using, fold in any add-ins.
5. Divide the batter evenly between the 10 muffin cups.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes and then turn the oven heat down to 350°F (175°C) for about 5-7 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.