Croque Madame is a classic French dish that consists of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top. It is a hearty and filling meal that is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The sandwich is typically made with slices of crusty bread that are spread with a mixture of Dijon mustard and béchamel sauce. Ham and Gruyère cheese are added to the sandwich and then it is grilled until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
To make it, you will need the following ingredients: crusty bread, Dijon mustard, béchamel sauce, ham, Gruyère cheese, butter, and eggs. To begin, you will need to make the béchamel sauce by melting butter in a saucepan, adding flour, and then gradually adding milk while whisking continuously. Once the sauce has thickened, you can season it with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Spread a generous amount of the béchamel sauce and Dijon mustard on each slice of bread, then add the ham and Gruyère cheese. Top the sandwich with another slice of bread and then grill it until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
Finally, the last step is to fry an egg and place it on top of the sandwich. The yolk should be runny and should mix with the béchamel sauce to create a delicious, creamy sauce. Serve the Croque Madame hot and enjoy this classic French dish that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. You can also add a side salad to the meal for a complete and balanced meal. The Croque Madame is a versatile dish that can be adapted to your personal tastes and dietary restrictions. For example, you can use different types of cheese or bread, or you can even make a vegetarian version by replacing the ham with mushrooms.
How to make Croque Madame
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 30 mins
Total Time : 40 mins
Servings : 2 servings
FOR THE MORNAY SAUCE
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. Pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. shredded Gruyère
FOR THE CROQUE MONSIEUR
- 4 slices thick brioche or country bread
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tsp. whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/2 c. Mornay sauce
- 6 thin slices ham
- 1 c. shredded Gruyère, divided
FOR THE EGGS
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 large eggs
- Maldon, for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Make Mornay sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, and cook until sauce thickens, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Gruyère. Let cool for 10 minutes.
2. Assemble Croque Monsieurs: In a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, toast bread on both sides until lightly golden. Spread half tablespoon butter on each slice, then flip over two slices and spread each with 1 teaspoon mustard and 1 tablespoon Mornay sauce. Top each mustard slice with 3 slices ham, ¼ cup Gruyère, and remaining bread slices. Evenly spread the tops of each sandwich with 2 tablespoons of sauce, and sprinkle with remaining Gruyère.
3. Transfer skillet to oven and cook until cheese is melty and top is golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
4. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Crack eggs into skillet and fry until whites are set, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and top each sandwich with an egg.