Crockpot Beef Stew is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for cold weather or any time you want a warm and filling meal. This recipe is made with tender chunks of beef, carrots, potatoes, and onions, all cooked in a flavorful broth until everything is perfectly tender and delicious. The best part about this dish is that it’s incredibly easy to make, requiring just a few simple ingredients and a slow cooker.
To make Crockpot Beef Stew, start by browning the beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Then, transfer the beef to a slow cooker and add in the vegetables and broth. Let everything cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through. Serve the stew with crusty bread or biscuits for a truly satisfying meal that will warm you up from the inside out. With its simple ingredients and easy preparation, it’s no wonder that Crockpot Beef Stew is one of the most popular dishes searched for by food lovers everywhere.
How to make Crockpot Beef Stew
Prep Time : 30 mins
Cock Time : 4 hrs
Total Time : 4 hrs 30 mins
Yield : 10 servings
- 1 1/2 pound chuck roast cut into 1 ½ inch pieces or pre-cut stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes halved or quartered depending on size
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cans beef broth approximately 40 ounces
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh parsley for garnish
1. Cut roast into 1 ½ inch bite size chunks and place them in a gallon size resealable bag or other airtight container. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Shake bag until the meat is coated with flour.
2. Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom skillet or pot. Add coated meat and brown each piece on all sides.
3. While meat is browning, cut potatoes and carrots and place both in the bottom of a crock pot. When meat is browned, layer the meat on top of the potatoes and carrots and leave remaining juices in the skillet.
4. Return the skillet to the stovetop and add butter. Melt the butter on medium-high heat, then saute onions and garlic. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. In a small cup, combine cornstarch and cold water. Mix until smooth then add to the liquid mixture in the skillet. This will thicken the liquid. Pour all the contents of the skillet over the meat and vegetables in the crock pot. Add thyme, parsley flakes, and bay leaves.
5. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for approximately 4 hours. 30 minutes before serving check the taste of the broth and add salt, pepper, or seasonings as needed. Allow to cook for another 30 minutes after adding seasonings.
6. Remove bay leaves before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.