Chocolate molten lava cakes are a decadent and indulgent dessert that’s sure to impress. To make this recipe, start by melting butter and dark chocolate together in a double boiler or in the microwave. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract until it’s light and fluffy. Gradually fold in the melted chocolate mixture, then stir in flour and salt until the batter is smooth.
Spoon the batter into greased ramekins and bake in the oven until the edges are set but the center is still slightly jiggly. Once the cakes are removed from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes before turning them out onto a plate. Serve the cakes warm with a dusting of powdered sugar or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special touch.
How to make Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
Total Time : 22 mins
Servings : 4 servings
- ½ cup butter
- 4 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate (4 ounces) or a very full ½ cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour or gluten-free baking blend
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease 4 six-ounce ramekins with butter and set aside.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl add the butter and chocolate. Microwave on high until the butter melts and the chocolate starts to soften, about 1 minute.
3. Mix the chocolate and butter together until no lumps remain. If you need to microwave it a bit longer you can.
4. Add powdered sugar and stir to combine.
5. Add the eggs and egg yolks and stir to combine.
6. Add the flour and stir to make a thick batter.
7. Place the batter in the prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet to easily move them in and out of the oven.
8. Place the baking sheet and ramekins in the oven. Bake for 12-13 minutes until the edges are set and the center is soft (but it won’t be glossy or super jiggly).
9. Let the cakes rest for 2 minutes and then invert them onto a serving plate.
10. Serve right away with freshly whipped cream and berries or vanilla ice cream.