Indulge in the velvety richness of our Chocolate Ice Cream recipe, a dreamy frozen dessert that will satisfy your deepest chocolate cravings. Made with premium cocoa powder, sugar, cream, and milk, our recipe guarantees a smooth and decadent treat that will delight your taste buds. Begin by whisking together cocoa powder and sugar in a saucepan. Gradually add in the milk and cream, stirring until the mixture is well combined.
Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and reaches a gentle simmer. Remove from heat, let it cool, and stir in a splash of vanilla extract for an extra layer of flavor. Chill the mixture thoroughly, then pour it into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Scoop out the velvety chocolate ice cream into bowls or cones, and savor the indulgent taste that will transport you to chocolate heaven.
How to make Chocolate Ice Cream
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Chilling/Churning/Freezing Time : 12 hrs 40 mins
Total Time : 13 hrs 10 mins
Servings : 12 servings
- 2 cups heavy cream divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 large egg yolks beaten
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Whisk together 1 cup cream and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil/simmer for 30 seconds whisking constantly.
2. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add remaining 1 cup of cream and whisk to combine.
3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and position a fine mesh strainer over it. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks.
5. In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together milk, sugar and sea salt.
6. Once the milk mixture is slightly warm, add ½ cup of warm milk to the beaten egg yolks and whisk to combine. Add the milk/egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking during the addition.
7. Continue to cook the custard over medium heat, and stir the mixture constantly with a spatula until the it thickens and lightly coats the spatula (it does this when it reaches about 170 degrees F).
8. Pour the thickened custard through the metal strainer into the other ingredients in the bowl. Stir until combined. Discard any custard residue left on the strainer.
9. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
10. Place a lid on top and let the mixture cool in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or overnight. To speed up the cooling process, you can place the container of the chocolate ice cream liquid base into an ice bath and stir it often.
11. Once the ice cream mixture is cooled to just below room temperature, churn it in an ice cream maker until thick and frozen (30-40 minutes).
12. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 6 hours.