Chicken Penne Pasta is a simple and delicious dish that can be made in under 30 minutes. It features sautéed chicken and penne pasta tossed in a creamy tomato sauce with garlic, and Parmesan cheese. This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner and can be served with a side salad or garlic bread.
- chicken breast – you can substitute with boneless chicken thighs if you prefer, or use cooked shredded chicken instead (just skip the chicken steps in the beginning and toss in the shredded chicken at the end).
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- penne pasta – feel free to substitute with your favorite shaped pasta. Try shells, bow ties, rotini, or macaroni.
- all-purpose flour
- heavy cream
- chicken broth – or use reserved hot pasta water
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley – optional, for garnish.
1. Boil pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add penne pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions, about 8-10 minutes. Reserve ½ cup of the hot pasta water in a bowl (if using instead of chicken stock). Drain the pasta and set aside.
2. Sear chicken. Use a paper towel to pat the chicken breasts completely dry. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1-2 minutes. Add chicken and sear until golden brown, 6-8 minutes per side.
3. Slice chicken. Slice the chicken into ½-inch strips, transfer onto a plate, and cover with aluminium foil to stay moist.
4. Make the creamy sauce. In the same skillet, add butter and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour and cook until thickened into a paste, about 1 minute. Add heavy cream, chicken broth (or reserved hot pasta water), and Parmesan cheese. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened to a desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Toss in chicken. Add the chicken and pasta to the skillet and toss well to coat. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.