Chicken Enchilada Skillet is a quick and easy one-pan recipe that is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It is made by sautéing chicken, onions and peppers, then adding enchilada sauce and corn, and topping it with cheese and cilantro. Serve it with rice or tortilla chips for a complete meal.
How To Make Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 20 ounces red enchilada sauce I recommend my homemade red enchilada sauce
- 3 cups cooked shredded crockpot Mexican chicken (for max flavor!) or regular cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans or low sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup 2% or whole plain Greek yogurt do not use fat free or it may curdle
- 6 corn tortillas cut into quarters
- 1 cup shredded cheese such as sharp cheddar or cheddar jack, Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, or pepper jack, divided
- For serving: diced avocados sliced jalapeno, chopped fresh cilantro, additional Greek yogurt or sour cream
1. Place racks in the upper third and center of your oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Sauté until the vegetables brown and are becoming tender, about 6 minutes.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Keep the skillet handy. Add the enchilada sauce, chicken, and beans and stir to combine. Stir in the Greek yogurt. Fold in the tortilla quarters and 1/4 cup of the cheese.
4. Spoon the mixture back into the same skillet. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
5. Transfer the skillet to the oven, placing it on the upper third rack, and bake until the cheese is hot and bubbling, 10 minutes. If you like, switch the oven to broil and broil for a minute or two to make the top of the cheese brown (don’t walk away to make sure the cheese doesn’t burn). Remove from the oven (be careful, the skillet handle will be hot!). Let rest a few minutes, then serve hot with desired toppings.