Cheddar broccoli soup is a creamy and comforting dish that is perfect for a chilly day. To prepare, sauté broccoli florets in butter, add chicken or vegetable broth, and simmer until tender. Stir in grated cheddar cheese and cream, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a garnish of additional cheese and croutons.
How to make Cheddar Broccoli Soup
To make this delicious cheddar cheese you will only need a handful of ingredients, a large pot, and 30 minutes. Gather all your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
Broccoli: Fresh broccoli florets along with the stems chopped into small bite-size pieces. A 12oz bag of frozen broccoli will also work. The instructions and cooking time are exactly the same.
Carrots: You will need about 1 cup of grated, finely minced, or julienned carrots. It is about 1 large carrot or 2 small carrots. This ingredient is optional and can be adjusted to your taste preference.
Cheddar: To get the best possible flavor, we like to use an 8oz block of mild or medium cheddar cheese. You can also use 2 cups of pre-grated cheddar cheese.
Half & Half: Half and half will yield a texture that is not too thick or too thin. It can also be replaced with milk for a light soup or heavy cream for keto dieters.
Stock: Veggie or chicken stock will work great and if you don’t have any on hand, replace the stock with water and add a bouillon cube.
You will also need a chopped onion, minced garlic, butter, flour, salt pepper and paprika (can be subbed with nutmeg if desired).
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the milk, broccoli, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with additional cheese.