Carrot cake is a classic dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. To make this recipe, start by mixing together your dry ingredients, such as flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, mix together your wet ingredients, such as eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Then, gradually stir in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth.
Next, fold in shredded carrots, crushed pineapple, and chopped walnuts for added texture and flavor. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Once the cake is cooled, top it with a creamy frosting made with cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract for the perfect finishing touch.
How to make Carrot Cake
Prep Time : 2 hrs
Cook Time : 55 mins
Total Time : 2 hrs 55 mins
Servings : 12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups grated carrots lightly packed, approx. 4 large carrots (300g shredded)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup cream cheese full fat, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- cornstarch or meringue powder optional, as needed
- edible flowers optional
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour three 6″ cake rounds, line with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine vegetable oil and sugars. Beat until well combined (2 mins). Add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla.
4. Add flour mixture in 3 parts. Fold in carrots.
5. Spread batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 55mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10mins then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer beat butter until pale and creamy. Reduce speed to low. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix on low until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and continue to beat on medium for 1 minute.
3. Slowly add chilled cream cheese one cube at a time (about 1 tablespoon at a time). Beat well until blended and ensure no lumps of cream cheese remain.
4. If needed, add cornstarch or meringue powder 1 tablespoon at a time to stiffen the frosting (I didn’t but this is an option). Run mixer on low for a couple of minutes to remove any air bubbles.
1. Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Top with approximately 2/3 cup of buttercream and spread evenly. Repeat with remaining layers. Frost and smooth the outside with a thin crumb coat.
2. Decorate the top with a swirl and some edible flowers if desired.