Butter chicken is a mouth-watering Indian dish that has gained immense popularity all over the world. To make this delectable dish, start by marinating the chicken in a mixture of yogurt, ginger, garlic, and a blend of Indian spices, including cumin, coriander, and garam masala. After marinating the chicken for a few hours, grill it until it is cooked through and has a beautiful char. In the meantime, prepare the creamy tomato-based sauce by simmering butter, onions, and tomatoes with a variety of spices and cream. Add the grilled chicken to the sauce and let it cook for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
To serve, garnish the butter chicken with fresh coriander and serve it alongside steaming hot basmati rice or naan bread. The dish can be made to suit any spice level preference, with extra chili powder or cayenne pepper added for those who prefer a spicier flavor. The beauty of this dish lies in its versatility, as it can be made in a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or even on the stovetop, depending on your preference.
In summary, butter chicken is a delicious and satisfying dish that is sure to impress your guests. The key to a great butter chicken recipe is using high-quality ingredients, allowing the chicken to marinate for an adequate amount of time, and cooking the sauce to the perfect consistency. With a little bit of patience and practice, anyone can master the art of making a delectable butter chicken dish that will leave everyone craving for more.
How to make Butter Chicken
Prep Time : 05 mins
Cook Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 20 mins
Servings : 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely minced or grated (or use paste)
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely minced or crushed
- 1 ½ pounds about 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ¾-inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste or 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or paprika, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek I use powder, but seeds or mustard seeds can be used too, optional*
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream sub for half & half or yogurt for low fat
- Hot cooked rice and naan for serving
1. Heat a large skillet or medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, butter, and onions and cook onions down until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and let cook for 30 seconds, stirring so it doesn’t burn.
2. Add the chicken, tomato paste, and spices. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
3. Add the heavy cream and simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve over Basmati rice or with naan.