Broccoli cheddar soup recipe is a classic dish that is both comforting and satisfying. This creamy soup is a perfect balance of healthy and indulgent ingredients, as it contains both fresh broccoli and rich cheddar cheese. The broccoli provides a boost of vitamins and fiber, while the cheddar adds a creamy and tangy flavor that complements the broccoli perfectly. The soup is typically made with a base of onions and garlic, which are sautéed in butter before the broccoli and broth are added. The soup is then simmered until the broccoli is tender and the flavors have melded together. Finally, the soup is blended until smooth, and the cheddar cheese is added, creating a rich and creamy texture.
This soup can be served as a main course or as a side dish, and it is perfect for a cozy night in or a comforting meal on a chilly day. It is also a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables, as the delicious cheese flavor is sure to be a hit. Overall, broccoli cheddar soup is a classic dish that is easy to make, delicious, and versatile, making it a staple in many households.
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Total Time : 30 mins
Servings : 4 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter ½ stick
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoon AP flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika or ground nutmeg, optional
- 3 cups broccoli florets or 1 large head, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot grated, julienned or finely chopped
- 2 cups half & half or milk or light or heavy cream
- 8 oz block grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups (mild, medium, or sharp )
1. Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes or until softened and light gold. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
2. Add flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes or until the flour begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the chicken stock, broccoli florets, carrots, and seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are cooked through.
3. Stir in half & half and cheddar cheese and simmer for another minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
4. Serve with toasted crusty bread or in a bread bowl if desired.