Beef Vindaloo is a popular Indian curry dish that is known for its spicy and tangy flavors. This dish originated in the state of Goa, a region in India with a strong Portuguese influence. The dish is traditionally made with beef or pork, but can also be made with chicken, lamb or even vegetables. The key to a great Beef Vindaloo is the spice blend which includes a variety of ingredients such as cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and chili peppers. The dish is typically served with rice or bread and is a favorite among spicy food enthusiasts.
To make Beef Vindaloo, start by marinating the beef in a mixture of vinegar, spices and garlic for several hours. Then, sauté onions, ginger, and more spices in a large pot before adding the marinated beef and cooking until it is tender. The dish is finished with a splash of coconut milk to balance out the flavors and reduce the spiciness. This recipe is a perfect choice for those who enjoy bold and flavorful dishes with a bit of heat. It is a great option for a family dinner or for entertaining guests and is sure to impress even the most discerning palates.
How to make Beef Vindaloo Spicy Curry
Prep Time : 05 mins
Cook Time : 55 mins
Marinade Time : 8 hrs
Total Time : 9 hrs
Servings : 2 servings
- 400g (14 oz) Stewing Beef
- 100g (⅔ Cup) Onion
- 2 Green Chilli Peppers
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 125ml (½ Cup) Water
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
For the Marinade:
- 50g (1″ cube) Tamarind
- ½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Tsp Amchoor
- 1 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- ½ Tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 50g (⅓ Cup) Onion
- 8 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 12 Cardamom Pods
1. Cut the beef into 3cm (1¼”) cubes.
2. Add three tablespoons of boiling water to the tamarind and allow it to soak for 10 minutes, then pass it through a fine mesh sieve.
3. Roughly chop the onion for the marinade.
4. Add all of the ingredients for the marinade with the exception of the cardamom pods to a blender and blitz to form a paste.
5. Add this paste with the cardamom pods to the cubed beef and allow it to marinade for at least 8 hours although it is better to do it for 24.
6. Cut the onion for the curry into 8 wedges.
7. Thinly slice the chilli pepper.
8. Dice the tomatoes.
Instant Pot Instructions:
1. Place the Instant Pot in saute mode and when it is hot add the ghee followed by the onions and cook until they begin to colour.
2. Add the beef with the marinade and stir to combine with the onions.
3. Throw in the tomatoes, green chilli pepper, and water.
4. Seal the lid and cook for 35 minutes on high pressure, then allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes before opening the valve.
5. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon, set the Instant Pot to saute mode and reduce the sauce by 2/3rds
6. Return the beef, stir and serve.
1. Heat a medium (24cm or 10″) heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat.
2. Add the ghee followed by the onion and cook until it starts to colour.
3. Add the beef and stir to combine with the onions.
4. Throw in the tomatoes, green chilli pepper, and water.
5. Stir to combine and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and add a lid and cook gently for 90 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and cook for a final 30 minutes on a gentle simmer.