Beef Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish made with sautéed strips of beef, mushrooms, and onions in a sour cream sauce. This dish is typically served over a bed of egg noodles or rice. To make a traditional Old Fashioned Beef Stroganoff, start by seasoning beef with salt and pepper and browning it in a large skillet. Next, add diced onions and sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook until softened. Combine beef broth, wine, and mustard to make the sauce, and then stir in sour cream.
Serve the stroganoff over cooked noodles or rice, garnished with chopped fresh parsley. This hearty and comforting dish is perfect for a cozy night in and is sure to become a family favorite.
How to cook Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Total Time : 30 mins
Servings : 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef sirloin steak sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the sirloin against the grain and into thin strips. Dust with the flour to coat. Set aside.
2. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms. Sauté until tender, about 7 minutes, then remove from the skillet and set aside.
4. Without cleaning the skillet, add the butter and let it melt over medium-high heat. Add the steak slices and cook until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Return the onions and mushrooms to the skillet. Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add the sour cream and Dijon and stir until incorporated. Add the cooked egg noodles, stir to combine, and then season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve hot over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or cooked rice.