Today’s recipe is always a family favorite. And not just my family! I have taken this dish to lots of family’s when someone was sick or had a new baby and it is always a big hit. After they enjoy their dinner, they always request the recipe. It is also a delicious dish to make for company.
How To Make Baked Ziti With Sausage
The sauce for the baked ziti can be made a day ahead. You start by cooking the sausage with chopped garlic and onion until it is cooked through. Then you add the tomatoes, juice and all, and simmer until it begins to thicken slightly. Then you add the pesto and salt and pepper to taste.
Prep Time : 30 minutes
CookTime : 30 minutes
Total Time : 1 hour
Servings : 8
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausages
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 3 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 28- ounce can diced peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 C pesto
- 10 ounces ziti or penne pasta about 3 cups, freshly cooked
- 4 cups or hand fulls of baby spinach leaves
- 6 ounces grated or cubed mozzarella cheese
- 1 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is cooked through
2. Add tomatoes with juices
3. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes
4. Add pesto
5. Season sauce with salt and pepper
6. You can prepare up to this point a day ahead and refrigerate
7. Bring mixture back to simmer before continuing
8. Preheat oven to 375° F.
9. Lightly oil 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
10. Combine pasta, spinach, mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese in large bowl.
11. Stir in warm hot tomato mixture.
12. Place in prepared baking dish
13. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese over
14. Bake until sauce bubbles and cheeses melt, about 30 minutes
- Calories: 501kcal
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Sodium: 836mg
- Potassium: 550mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 4g
- Vitamin A: 1935IU
- Vitamin C: 16mg
- Calcium: 327mg
- Iron: 2.8mg