Amish-style baked oatmeal is a delicious and healthy breakfast option made with apples, raisins and walnuts. This recipe starts by mixing together rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sweetener in a large mixing bowl. Then, you add in apples, raisins, and walnuts before baking in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
How To Make Amish-Style Baked Oatmeal
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, divided
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the dish
- 2 tart yet sweet baking apples, such as Honey Crisp, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8 or 9-inch baking dish with butter.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, ½ cup of the nuts, raisins, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
3. In another bowl, break up the eggs with a whisk; then whisk in the milk and vanilla until well combined.
4. Add the milk mixture to the oat mixture, along with the melted butter.
5. Scatter the apples evenly on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the oatmeal mixture over top and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup nuts on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top is golden and the oats are set. Serve warm or at room temperature.