An air fryer whole chicken recipe is a simple and delicious way to cook a whole chicken. Start by seasoning the chicken with your preferred spices, then place it in the air fryer. Cook at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cock Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 3- to 4-pound roasting chicken* giblets removed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 medium lemon cut into quarters
- 6 whole garlic cloves no need to peel
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Remove the giblets from the chicken and pat very dry (no need to rinse). Season the inside of the chicken cavity with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
2. Stuff the chicken cavity with the lemon, garlic, and thyme.
3. Brush the outside of the chicken all over with the oil.
4. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons salt and the black pepper.
5. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. Place the chicken in the air fryer breast-side down.
6. Air fry for 30 minutes, then slide out the basket and flip the chicken over.
7. Continue air frying until the chicken reaches 155 degrees on an instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast, about 25 to 30 minutes more. Remove from the air fryer. Cover and let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.
- *Make sure your chicken fits in your air fryer basket without touching the heating element before you begin. I have a 5.5-quart air fryer and it holds a chicken that is between 3 1/2 to 3 7/5 pounds. If the chicken is a little larger, you can press down on the breast bone firmly to crack it a little so the chicken flattens out (if your chicken is tied, untying it can help).
- TO STORE: Refrigerate chicken in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze chicken meat in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.